Even until now, many people still don’t have the complete and correct knowledge about windmills and how they work. Many associate it with ancient times, particularly the pre-industrial revolution era.
However, while many people may not know, there’s currently a rapidly rising demand for giant and technologically-advanced windmills worldwide.
In this quick guide, you’ll discover several facts about windmills and the benefits they have to offer.
- As windmills are considered a popular landmark figure in Holland, there are over one thousand windmills scattered all over the province.
- The first-ever windmill was constructed around the mid 18th century in the Netherlands.
- All through Dutch history, people have been using windmills for various purposes. However, the most popular use of windmills is the laborious work of pumping water from lowlands out to the nearby rivers.
Main Parts of a Windmill
Looking at the major components of windmills or wind turbines allows you to understand better their uses and how they work. Below is a list of the main parts and features of windmills.
- Blades: The blades of a windmill are definitely its most significant part. The blades control the speed of the rotor so that it won’t turn on wind rates that are either too low or high.
- Rotor: The rotor is a component connected to the generator. It’s also termed the propeller in wind turbines. Windmills turn wind power into electricity by utilizing the aerodynamic force produced by the rotor blades.
- Anemometer: An anemometer measures the speed of the wind and relays the data recorded to a controller.
- Tower: The tower is another prominent component in windmills or wind turbines. These days, the towers of turbines are constructed with concrete or steel.
The Beneficial Effects of Windmills
Wind power has many evident positive effects, which is the primary reason the demand for high-quality wind turbines has grown rapidly over the years.
Here is a rundown of a few of the many excellent benefits utilizing windmills has to offer.
- Clean Energy – Wind turbines generate clean energy. They do not harm the surrounding environment or pollute the air like fossil fuel power plants.
- Cost-Effective Power Generation – Wind turbines are considered among the most inexpensive energy generation technologies available to date. In addition to that, wind energy is also plentiful.
- Sustainable – Given that wind energy is ample and always available, windmills and wind turbines are considered sustainable tools for electricity generation.
- High-Quality Wind Turbines Are Built to Last – Today’s wind turbines are engineered using advanced technologies and high-quality materials. Thus, they are guaranteed to withstand harsh environmental conditions.
- Wind Power Generates Jobs – Given the rising demand for top-quality wind turbines, manufacturers constantly hire workers to fill various job positions.